Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Next time I post I'll prolly be married

Let's skip the traditional apologies for lack of posting and just get on with it:

1. Wedding is in less than a month. People keep asking me how I feel and I always respond "I'm ready for marriage but I'm not ready for the wedding." Planning and preparation for this whole shindig has been a high-stress nightmare and I've only put in a fraction the effort Meg has put in, so make sure you let her know how wonderful everything looks. In real life, planning a wedding is not anything like the Hollywood version which is usually a 90 second montage of sniffing flowers and eating cake and being filled with glee. I'm just ready for everything to be taken care of and be able to relax and enjoy the day and move forward with life and a wife.
Thankfully we have a hell of a way to relax once everything is done (Jamaica, whooooo!) and I think we are deservedly spoiling ourselves on the honeymoon.

Can we all still be friends even after I'm the "weird old married guy"? I worry at times that our friends won't know how to deal with us socially once we're married... we can still be fun, individually or together, so don't be scared of us, please.

2. Work/school/career-wise: still totally obsessed with nuclear pharmacy as a new career path. I finished my Cardinal rotation and then did a very hands-on rotation at the OSU nuclear pharmacy in September, and they confirmed what I want to do. Unfortunately it's a very small niche practice with a low turnover rate, so chances were always against me to start in it, especially since I don't want to move. I've spent a lot of time trying to become super-best-friends with a professor at OSU who is practically the nuclear pharmacy guru for the eastern half of the US and he keeps me informed of any opportunities in the field.
I went ahead and accepted the CVS offer because I don't think anything will open up in nuclear in the next year around Columbus and because they offered me a boatload of money, and it's only a 1-year commitment. If something magical happens and I get an offer in nuclear, I can get out of CVS by paying back the bonus they gave me for committing... which seems easy except we already spent every penny of that bonus an wedding/house/life needs.

3. Pharmacy rotations aren't too bad... I apparently have a knack for picking rotations that aren't too demanding. Currently I'm pretending to be a clinical pharmacist at OSU's family medicine office, and it is more interesting than I thought it would be. There's a lot of interaction with patients and physicians and I'm being forced to remember a bunch of stuff I needed to review for the licensing exam anyway. Stupid/unmotivated patients are extremely frustrating, but it definitely provides insight as to the inability of the average American to take care of themselves.
One funny story so far:
If I'm being told a patient's medical history/complaints before I go in to talk to the patient, you would think that SOMEBODY WOULD MENTION THE PATIENT IS DEAF. So I go in, introduce myself, dude seems shy and introverted, and I start rambling for a good minute and a half about his meds and asking how he's feeling. So after I get done with my spiel, he tilts his head in the classic quizzical manner, and then starts throwing some serious rapid-fire ASL at me. I hope he couldn't read lips, because despite my background as a scholar and a gentleman, my next spoken words were definitely "Ohhhhhh fuck."
I then politely excused myself (read: after cursing and instantly breaking into a full-body sweat, I mumbled something, did what I hoped was interpreted as a "hold on a minute" gesture, and scooted out of the room at 90 mph) and proceeded to patiently inquire the staff as to what the hell I was supposed to be doing. Eventually they brought in a webcam and monitor and we connected to the interpreter's service for OSU and had ourselves a very awkward and halting conversation.

Afterwards I was left to wonder - is it more embarrassing to be the patient and have to make the signs to a 60 year-old female ASL interpreter on a webcam that you have "groin pain"? Or is it more embarrassing to be the interpreter who has to see the signs and then announce to the anything-but-mature 24 year-old pharmacy student "I think he's trying to say his groin hurts" and then watch him try desperately not to laugh in front of the patient?

2 comments:

  1. jakeeee. i promise to not treat you like the weird married guy, if you all promise not to treat me like the crazy cat lady when i am still single for the foreseeable future. :)

    eeee i am so excited for you guys! can't wait for the wedding, and i am sure it will be beautiful! and all of megan's hard work will pay off.

    so exciting that you know what you want to do with your life. i am happy for you. and the best part is you already have a job in the meantime!

    i had a similarly awkward situation with a spanish speaking family from mexico... we had to call some phone interpreter service and it was such a disaster. and i was too chicken to even at least mutter a "lo siento, no hablo espanol".... pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiiii

    Can't wait for the wedding :) it also serves as a good reunion for all of us :) YAY

    I don't think the married thing will affect friends, at least not the ones that live over 2,000 miles away! Since you already live together, there shouldn't be too many changes on that front. HAVE so much fun on your honeymoon and DEFINITELY spoil yourselves!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts